You may ask yourself, “How can I get a lawyer on minimum wage?” There are a number of ways to get through the family court process on a shoestring budget. Here is a list of ideas to assist you.
1. Clark County Self Help center provides some forms for free to assist you in family law matters, including divorce, child custody, and child support. However, it is extremely advisable to fill out the forms and then have an attorney review prior to filing them so that you know whether you are affecting your rights and can understand the repercussions. Furthermore, at the meeting with the attorney, you can clarify the procedure. You can get a 15 minute free consultation with family attorneys on Thursdays at Family Court, otherwise, there are attorneys that will charge $100 for perhaps an hour long inexpensive consultation.
2. If you require an attorney for any or all of the court proceedings, you can hire lawyers for limited services, i.e. unbundled services at flat rates. You can also call the Nevada bar lawyer referral service and ask for a reduced rate attorney, which will charge $75 per hour instead of $250 per hour (meaning you get over three times the amount of work for the price). Finally, and the hardest but cheapest lawyer to obtain, a free one through Nevada Legal Services. This last option can take a long time because of the number of people on a waiting list.
3. Remember, if you represent yourself in family court, you can always hire lawyers for consultations or for limited services such as to conduct the trial or evidentiary hearing. You may want to save up for the trial, hiring the attorney at least one month ahead of time.
4. If you are very poor, you may be able to get the filing fees waived.
5. If your spouse is wealthy, you may be able to get your spouse to pay for your representation or provide you temporary support. You should always consult with a lawyer long before letting your spouse know you are planning to divorce so that you can prepare.
Thank you for visiting our Las Vegas family law blog.
The information contained in this blog is for general information only and is not intended to be legal advice for any specific person or scenario. The best advice is to always consult an attorney in order to have confidentiality and privilege.
For the right lawyers to handle your family legal matter, contact The Wright Law Offices, PC. A good Las Vegas divorce lawyer will help you plan financially and emotionally for any court action that you may have to take.
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:
If you already have an attorney who has claimed to be an expert, specialist, or specializes in or has expertise in any area of law in Nevada, The Wright Law Offices will find out whether this is true, free of charge. Simply send us an e-mail from our website at The Wright Law Offices and we will determine whether the lawyer's claim specialist or expert claim is true. Why can't some lawyers call themselves specialists? Learn about Nevada legal specialization.